8 ears of corn shucked (3 1/2 pounds)
4 tablespoons butter
1 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 rib of celery, finely chopped
1 poblano pepper, seeded, and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons Smoky Paprika Chipotle Seasoning
4 1/2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 sour cream
1/2 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
1 lime, cut into wedge
1. If using corn on the cob, grill corn until slightly charred, about 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut the corn from the cobs. Reserve 4 cobs for simmering in the soup.
2. In a large pot over medium heat add the butter and cook until the foam subsides, about 4 minutes. Stir in the onion, celery, poblano pepper, garlic, bay leaf and Smoky Paprika Chipotle or Mexican Street Corn seasoning. Cover for 6-8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
3. Add in the corn, reserved cobs, milk, cream, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Discard the bay leaf and corn cobs.
5. Transfer 1½ cups of the soup to a blender and purée until smooth. Stir the puréed soup back into the pot to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve with cilantro, sour cream, cotija cheese, and lime wedges.