2 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, diced
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
1 carrot, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Curry Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 tablespoon garam marsala
5 cups stock, chicken, turkey, or vegetable
2 cups chicken or turkey, diced
1 1/2 cups basmati rice, cooked
1 - 14 ounce can coconut milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, optional
1/2 cup cilantro, optional
1. In a large pot over medium heat add the butter. Once bubbling stir in the onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
2. Add in the apple, carrot and garlic. Sauté until apple is translucent about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Add the flour, Curry, cumin, cloves, and garam marsala- stir until spices a fragrant, about 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the stock, whisking until flour is dissolved. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Stir in the chicken or turkey, rice, coconut milk and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in lemon zest if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Ladle into bowls. Serve with fresh cilantro.