4 pounds beef brisket
6 tablespoons Texas Brisket Rub
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
1 1/4 cups beef broth
1/12 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sour cream
2 limes, 1 juiced and 1 sliced into wedges
Toppings: pickled red onions, radishes, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, cheese, jalapenos, salsa, hot sauce
1. Preheat oven to 285ºF.
2. Season brisket all over with Texas Brisket rub. Let seasoned brisket sit at room temperature for 1 hour to come to room temperature.
3. Over medium heat add the oil and onions to a Dutch oven or covered casserole (make sure your pan is large enough to hold the brisket). Cook 15 minutes or until onions are translucent and soft. Season with salt and pepper. Remove onions to a plate.
4. Turn the heat to medium-high and sear the brisket for 6 - 7 minutes per side. Add the onions and any residual juices to the top of the brisket. Then pour in the stock and vinegar around the brisket.
5. Crinkle pieces of wet parchment and arrange over the brisket. Cover and cook for 5-6 hours. Brisket is ready when it can be easily shredded with 2 forks.
6. Remove brisket and either slice against the grain or shred with 2 forks. Meanwhile, bring remaining cooking liquid to a boil, then simmer until it reaches your desired thickness. Stir back it the shredded brisket.
7. To make the lime crema- stir in the lime juice to the sour cream.
8. To serve- layer taco shells with barbacoa, lime crema, and desired toppings.