Sage and Garlic Roast Turkey
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 tablespoons, divided Turkey Rub
2 lemons, cut into 8ths
2 oranges, cut into 1” chunks
2 stalks of celery, cut into 1” pieces
4 fresh garlic cloves, cut in half
1 turkey (15-22 pounds)
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. To prepare the turkey, remove the giblets and neck. If you plan to make your own gravy, place the giblets and neck in 5 cups water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 hour to make turkey stock. Strain the stock and set it aside until it is time to make the gravy.
3. In a bowl or plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons Turkey Rub, the lemons, orange, celery, and garlic. Stuff the turkey neck and main cavity with the lemon-garlic mixture. Don’t bother sewing the cavities up. Leaving them open will add to the juices and flavor.
4. Coat the breast and legs with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Working with your hands to loosen the skin from the breast, rub 2-3 more tablespoons of Turkey Rub between the turkey skin and the breast meat.
5. Place the turkey on a rack in a roasting pan.
6. Cook for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 325°F. Cook for a total of 15 minutes per pound.
7. Remove the turkey from the pan, place on a cutting board and cover tightly with foil for 20 minutes before carving. Leave the lemon-garlic mixture in the bird. This stuffing is to flavor the bird, not to eat.