1 stick butter, divided
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard, divided
2 1/2 teaspoons, divided Curry Seasoning
2 cups milk (whole milk or 2%)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
2 1/2 cups bread crumbs torn from fresh white bread (French or sourdough)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 2 quart (8 or 9 inch) baking dish. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan over medium high heat add 3 tablespoons of butter. Once melted whisk in the cornstarch, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, and 2 teaspoons Curry.
3. Slowly whisk in the milk, stirring constantly until sauce thickens and boils, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from heat, stir in the cheese, salt, and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
5. Stir in the cooked macaroni. Then transfer to the prepared pan. Set aside.
6. To prepare the breadcrumbs, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter. Then add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon mustard and 1/2 teaspoon Curry.
7. Stir in the breadcrumbs and cook until crispy and golden brown, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the macaroni.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbling at the edges.