Cranberry Pecan Rolls
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons whole milk, divided
1/2 cup water
1/3 + 4 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
1 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 cup sour cream, room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
7 teaspoons Pacific Coast Flake Salt, divided
3 eggs, room temperature, divided
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
1/2 cup pecan meal, toasted - see Cook's Note
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup pecan pieces, toasted
1. In a heavy saucepan combine 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup of water and 1/3 cup of bread flour. Whisk to combine. Then switch to a wooden spoon. Cook over medium heat until mixture is a very thick paste (much like the consistency of mashed potatoes), about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.
2. In a glass measuring cup add the remaining 2 tablespoons of milk and heat to 80ºF. Stir in the yeast Let sit until bubbling and foamy, about 5 minutes.
3. To the bowl with the cooked flour paste, add the yeast mixture, sour cream, sugar, 4 teaspoons Pacific Sea Salt, 2 eggs, 4 tablespoons butter, pecan meal, whole wheat flour, and 4 cups of bread flour. Turn mixer to low and knead until mixture just comes together. Add in the cranberries and pecan pieces. Knead on low for 5 to 10 minutes. If the dough is sticky add in the remaining 1/2 cup bread flour.
4. Dust the dough, top and bottom with additional flour and transfer to a clean bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place until the dough doubles in size, about 60 - 90 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Set aside.
6. Divide the dough into 2 ounce balls. You should have 20-24. Gather the dough in your hand, pinch the corners together to an oval. Place the dough seam side down on a un-floured surface. Using the outer edge of your palm move in a circular motion to create a tight ball of dough. Place into prepared pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Arrange so the dough just touches. Cover with plastic wrap and let set in a warm place to rise, about 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
8. To make egg wash, whisk the egg until no streaks of yolk are visible. Brush each roll with egg wash and season with 3 teaspoons Pacific Sea Salt. Bake uncovered for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown. Internal temperature will be 200ºF.
9. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and brush the rolls immediately when removed from the oven. Let cool 5-8 minutes.
To make your own pecan meal- add 1/2 cup toasted (and cooled) pecans in a food processor. Pulse 8-12 times or until you have flour like consistency. Be careful not to overprocess.
2% milk will work in this recipe. Do not substitute 1% or skim milk. Low fat sour cream has not been tested.
A metal baking pan produces the best bread.