Brined Holiday Turkey
2 cups (1 jar) Traditional Brining Blend
1 turkey (12-16 pounds)
2 cups boiling water
3 cups ice cubes
6 quarts cups cold water
4 tablespoons olive oil or softened butte
1. In a large pot bring 2 cups of water to boil. Stir in the Traditional Brining Blend. Stir until salt and sugar has dissolved.
2. Add ice cubes to the brined water and stir until melted. Then stir in 6 quarts of cold water. The water temperature should be 45°F or colder.
3. Place turkey in a container large contain and top with the brine. Add enough additional cold water to completely cover the turkey.
4. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
5. Remove turkey from brine, rinse and pat dry. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Let turkey rest at room temperature for 1 hour. Then place in a rack in a roasting pan.
6. Roast for 15 minutes per pound or until the internal temperature of the breast 160°F or the thickest part of the thigh is 175°F . Be sure to check internal temperature at ¾ cooking time as brined meat cooks faster than unbrined meat.
7. Remove the turkey from the pan, place on a cutting board and cover tightly with foil for 20 minutes before carving.