1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
½ cup full-fat plain yogurt (not Greek), room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon Apple Pie Spice
1/4 cup milk, room temperature
2 apples, cored, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons apple juice or milk
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease muffin tins or use paper liners.
2. First make the crumb topping: In a mixing bowl, combine the sugars, 1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice and melted butter. Stir in the flour. This should be crumbly. Set aside.
3. Make the muffins: In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or using a handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
4. Add in the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla extract. Beat on high for 3 minutes or until the mixture is light and fluffy.
5. In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1 tablespoon Apple Pie Spice.
6. Gently stir the flour mixture into the egg-yogurt mixture. Fold in the milk and apples until just combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin filling each cup 2/3 full.
7. Top each muffin with a handful of the crumb topping.
8. Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan.
9. Optional Glaze: Whisk together the confectioners sugar and apple juice. Drizzle over warm muffins.