1 medium sweet potato
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, diced
2 tablespoons Toasted Onion Herb
4 tablespoons avocado or olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1-14 ounce black bean can, drained and rinsed
1 cup quinoa, cooked
1 cup panko*
4 teaspoons parsley, roughly chopped
1. Par cook sweet potatoes by placing them into the microwave for 5 minutes, or until fork tender. Once cool enough to handle, remove skin and cube into ½ inch pieces.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onion, garlic, carrot, and Toasted Onion Herb seasoning with 2 tablespoons of oil for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
3. Add in the tomato paste and cook for 2 additional minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine the sweet potato, black beans, the sautéed onion mixture, black beans, quinoa, panko and parsley. Mix thoroughly until a moldable veggie burger can be formed.
5. Scoop 3/4 - 1 cup of veggie mixture and lightly toss from hand to hand, forming a ball. Pat into a disk, about 1 1/2 inches thick. Add to prepared pan. Refrigerate for about 1 hour or until chilled.
6. In the same skillet, over medium-high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Once hot add the burgers and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until crisp.
7. Serve on a toasted bun with desired toppings.