Thai Mango Noodle Salad
PIckled Red Onions
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 tablespoon fish sauce, optional
1 tablespoon neutral oil, such as grapeseed
2 teaspoons brown sugar or agave nectar
2 teaspoons Ginger Salt
4 ounces rice noodles
1/3 pound green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 small cucumber, halved, then quartered
1 medium carrot, shaved
1 mango, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2 inch dice
10 mint leaves, torn into small pieces
1 cup salted cashews or peanuts
1. Make the pickled red onions - add the red onion, vinegar, 1 cup of water, granulated sugar and salt to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap for 10 minutes. Drain and chill pickled red onions until ready to use. Can be made up to 3 days ahead.
2. In a large bowl combine the lime juice, garlic, fish sauce, oil, brown sugar, and Ginger Salt. Whisk to blend and set aside.
3. In a second large bowl add the rice noodles and green beans. Top with boiling water. Steep for 5 minutes or until noodles are al dente. Drain.
4. Add the dressing to the warm noodles and green beans, toss to coat. Let salad cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
5. Toss in the pickled red onions, cucumbers and carrots. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
6. Stir in the mango, mint and cashews just before serving.