1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper Rub
4 teaspoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon canola oil
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 - 1 pound boneless strip steaks, 1 1/4 to 1/12 inches thick, trimmed
1. Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
2. In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon Cracked Black Pepper Rub and the butter. Set aside.
3. Square off the potatoes by cutting 1/4 inch thick slice from each long slide creating a block. Discard the cut ends. Cut the potato lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick slabs. Now cut each slab into 1/4 inch thick fries. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
4. Add the potatoes to a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1/2 cup oil and 2 teaspoons salt. Gently toss to coat. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip potatoes over and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
5. Meanwhile, pat the steaks with a paper towel to remove any moisture. Season each steak with remaining 1 teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper Rub.
6. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in an oven safe skillet over medium-high heat until the pan is smoking. Add the steaks and cook for about 4 minutes or until a crust as formed. Flip steaks over and transfer the skillet to the oven. Cook 4-7 minutes or until an internal instant read thermometer reads 125°F.
7. Transfer steaks to a cutting board or a platter. Top with the seasoned butter. Tent for 8 - 10 minutes to allow steak to rest.
8. Season frites with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Serve steak with hot frites.