For the Stock:
1 1/2 cups reserved vegetable trimmings from the soup (onion, carrot, mushrooms and garlic)
1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
8 cups water
1 large parmesan rind, 3 - 4 inches
For the Soup:
1/2 cup farro
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms, cremini and shiitake, stemmed, wiped cleaned, sliced
3 Tablespoons Mediterranean Seasoning
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1/4 cup marsala wine
1. To prepare the stock: In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the vegetable trimmings, dried shiitake mushrooms, water, and the parmesan rind. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover for 30 minutes. Remove cover and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the farro. Bring a medium pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Add the toasted farro, stir, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered until the farro is tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Cover and set aside.
3. Strain the stock into a heat proof container, pressing the trimmings with the back of a wooden spoon to extract as much flavor as possible. You should have 4-5 cups. Set aside.
4. To prepare the soup: In the same stockpot add the oil, butter over medium heat. Once bubbly stir in the onion, celery and carrot. Cook 2 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
5. Stir in the mushrooms, and Mediterranean Seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
6. Add in the vinegar and marsala wine. Stir until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add in the reserved stock. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
7. Stir in the farro and simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.