Fresh Pea Soup
2 tablespoons butter
2 leeks, washed and diced
1 onion, diced
2 teaspoons Aleppo Pepper
4 cups stock, vegetable or chicken
5 cups peas, fresh or frozen (if frozen, do not thaw)
2/3 cup fresh mint
1/2 cup crème fraîche
1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
Garlic Croutons Optional: 1 cup stale bread cut into 2 inch pieces, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic smashed
1. In a large dutch oven over medium heat add the butter. Once melted add the leeks and onions. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until soft.
2. Stir in Aleppo Pepper. Cook 2 minutes.
3. Add in stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in the peas and cook 3-4 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add in mint. In batches, transfer to a blender and purée.
5. Serve warm with crème fraîche, chives, and if using garlic croutons.
Garlic Croutons: in a large skillet add the butter and olive oil. Once the butter has melted, stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove garlic and add in the bread. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.