1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
Zest of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw), divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, diced
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 egg, beaten
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine the flours, lemon zest, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter with your fingers or using two forks until the mixture resembles peas.
3. Stir in the blueberries and milk. Working as quickly as you can, combine the mixture to gently form a ball of dough.
4. Transfer the dough to a well floured surface and pat into circle about 1 1/2 inches tall. Cut into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges to the prepared pan.
5. Brush each wedge with egg wash, sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
6. Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown.
7. In a small bowl whisk the powdered sugar and maple syrup until smooth. Drizzle over cooled scones.