For the Cake:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 teaspoons Apple Pie Spice
4 large eggs
1 cup canola oil
1 3/4 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated apple- see tip
For the Frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Set aside.
2. In a mixing whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and teaspoons Apple Pie Spice. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in the oil, brown sugar, apple sauce and vanilla extract.
4. Once well mixed, fold in the dry ingredients, followed by the grated apple. Spread the batter into prepared pan. Give the pan one sharp tap on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
5. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
6. Frosting - In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or using a handheld mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy, about 4 minutes.
7. Add in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, salt and Apple Pie Spice. Beat on low until all ingredients are combined, then switch to high for 3 minutes.
8. Spread frosting on the cake. Cover and keep at room for 2 hours or in the refrigerator for 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.